Mobile home insurance in Florida is provided by just a few companies, so it’s important to use an insurance agency like ABC Dennis Insurance that can shop different insurance carriers to provide you the best mobile home insurance to meet your needs.
Insurance for Mobile Homes vs. Modular Homes
There are two primary types of homes that are commonly considered mobile homes:
- Modular homes are prefabricated homes that are transported in pieces to the site where they are constructed (assembled) by contractors. These homes typically have a permanent foundation. This type of home should be covered with a homeowners insurance policy.
- Mobile or Manufactured homes are constructed entirely in a factory and affixed to a permanent steel chassis. The home is then towed to the site and is not attached to a permanent foundation. This type of home is covered by a mobile home insurance policy.
What Should You Know About Mobile Home Insurance?
When insuring a mobile home in Florida, there are three important factors:
- Age of the mobile home.
- Proximity to the Atlantic Ocean or the Gulf of Mexico.
- The County in which the mobile home is located.
Of course, older mobile homes located in areas that are more prone to severe storm damage are more difficult to insure.
What Does Mobile Home Insurance Cover?
A typical mobile home policy covers:
- Dwelling Coverage. Typical mobile home insurance in Florida provides coverage for permanently affixed components of your mobile home and can include the roof, deck, shed, and carport. In most cases, this will cover damage from wind, fire, lightning, falling objects, and more.
- Personal Property. Basic policies protect any property that is in your home or in a protected structure. Some policies will also cover property that you own that is stored away from the home but will usually have lower coverage limits and may not cover all types of perils.
- Personal Liability. This protection covers accidents that may occur on your property in which someone is unintentionally injured, such as when a visitor falls and breaks their arm.
Be aware that basic mobile home insurance does not cover things such as flooding and additional living expenses. Also, coverage limits for a mobile home policy are based on the actual cash value or a stated amount, but you may be able to get additional coverage for the replacement cost depending on the age of the mobile home.
Why Do You Need Mobile Home Insurance?
Mobile home insurance is needed to help pay for partial damage to your property or even the total loss of your property.
Mobile home insurance covers the hazards that homeowners can face, including:
- Damage to personal property from fire, lightning, explosion, vandalism, landslide, falling objects, explosion, burglary or robbery, water damage from bursting pipes, damage by wild or stray animals, and wind or hail damage.
- Costs associated with liability related to the property, such as lawsuits.
Is Mobile Home Insurance Required?
Florida law does not require mobile home insurance, but most lenders require you to maintain property coverage.
How Much Mobile Home Insurance Do You Need?
The best way to answer this question is to ask yourself, “What would it cost to replace my mobile home and all the contents?”
Many mobile home owners don’t want to be covered for only the tax value or balance of your mortgage. They want to be covered to replace the mobile home and all the contents, including furnishings, appliances, electronics, clothing, jewelry, artworks, and other valuables.
At ABC Dennis Insurance, we will help you calculate the amount of insurance you need in the event you have to replace your mobile home and all your possessions.
ABC Dennis Insurance Agency
ABC Dennis Insurance is an independent insurance agency established in 1997 that provides mobile home insurance for individuals, families, and businesses.
As an independent agency, we find the best coverage with the most competitive rates among multiple insurance companies. This is important because no insurance company can meet every insurance need. So, we shop multiple insurance carriers to find the coverage that best fits our customers’ every need.