Classic car insurance is a particular type of automobile insurance for older cars used primarily for leisurely driving. Chevy Corvettes, Ford Mustangs, Thunderbirds, and Porsches are just a few classic cars enthusiasts enjoy collecting and restoring.
Though classic car insurance is similar to regular car insurance, there are some essential differences.
What Defines a Car as Classic?
There’s no universal definition for classic cars, and most states have specific time-based rules to define a “historic” or “classic” vehicle for purposes such as antique vehicle registration. For example, in Florida, a vehicle must be at least 30 years old, maintained, and restored according to the original vehicle specifications to qualify for antique or historic status.
Typically, cars tend to earn the distinction of a classic when they’re of sufficient historical interest to be collectible and have at least one of these characteristics:
- Vintage. Classic car insurers define this differently, but many consider a car a classic if it’s at least 15 years old.
- Exotic. High-priced prestige cars like Alfa Romeo, Rolls Royce, and Aston Martin tend to qualify as classic cars.
- Historical Relevance. Cars like Ford Model Ts, Chevy Camaros, and Mustangs hold a special place in automotive history.
- Specialty. Military jeeps, old fire engines, and other utility vehicles generally qualify as classic cars.
The Classic Car Club of America (CCCA) defines classic cars as those manufactured from 1915 to 1948, but most collectors and enthusiasts include other vehicles like the 1961 Jaguar E-Type.
Do You Need Classic Car Insurance?
Most insurers don’t adhere to the CCCA’s strict definition of a classic car. Instead, they break coverage down into two types:
- Classic automobiles. These vehicles are ten or more years old, are rare or of historical interest, maintained, restored, or preserved by an automotive hobbyist, and are regularly used.
- Antique automobiles. Vehicles 25 years or older and restored, maintained, or preserved by a hobbyist are considered antiques. These cars are often exhibited and used in parades or other civic activities.
Some insurers also have a replica category covering reproductions of classic or antique automobiles, and others reference future classics and modern classics. Talk to an insurance agent familiar with classic car insurance to determine if your car qualifies as a classic and the type of coverage it needs.
Classic Car Insurance Terms and Conditions
How you use your vehicle is a major deciding factor in obtaining classic car insurance coverage. For instance, most classic car insurance policies require “limited use,” meaning you don’t use it to commute to work or take long road trips. On the other hand, some insurers demand you to have a regular-use vehicle before they insure a classic car.
Coverage types for classic cars are similar to personal insurance and include:
- Liability car insurance covers damage and injuries you cause to others and a legal defense in case you’re sued after an at-fault accident you caused.
- Collision and comprehensive insurance cover a broad range of issues, including car accident damage to your car, theft, vandalism, animal collisions, flood, fire, hail, riots, and falling objects.
- Uninsured motorist coverage pays for your medical bills if an uninsured driver causes an accident involving your car.
Optional coverage might include vehicles under construction, disabled vehicles, spare parts, and automotive tools. There is also special insurance coverage for such things as vintage license plates and hood ornaments (often called automobilia).
Most large insurance providers offer classic car insurance, as do some smaller firms specializing in classic car insurance coverage. Whichever policy you choose, be sure it reflects your vehicle’s unique nature and actual value.
ABC Dennis Insurance Agency
ABC Dennis Insurance is an independent insurance agency established in 1997 that provides classic car insurance to its customers. If you have not reviewed your insurance coverages this year, please call our office at (813) 949-7765 or email us.
Besides classic car insurance, we can help with all your automotive insurance needs. As an independent agency, we find the best insurance coverage with the most competitive rates.